Dr. Thuy Bui is a Program Manager at the Office of the Provost and a Fellow at the Faculty of Arts and Sciences. Before joining VinUniversity, she had 7 years of academic work experience in the United States and Vietnam. She received her PhD in Linguistics from the University of Massachusetts Amherst and her BA in English and Linguistics from the University of Minnesota.
Dr. Bui pursues research interests at the interfaces of syntax, semantics, psycholinguistics, and computational linguistics. She uses a range of experimental methodologies, statistical modeling techniques, and computational tools to investigate how humans encode and retrieve linguistic information, as well as how this information can inform the way we teach language to computers. Her recent work has focused on text mining, pronoun resolution, temporal reference, and processing complexity in Vietnamese and English.
Her full profile can be found here.
- Computational Linguistics
- Pronoun resolution
- Temporal reference
- Processing complexity
- Luong, V., Nguyen, D., Dinh, D., & Thuy B. (2020). Assessing Vietnamese Text Readability Using Multi-Level Linguistic Features. International Journal of Advanced Computer Science and Applications, 11(8), 100-111.
- Vo, N., Bui, T., & Dinh, D. (2020). Text-Type Variation in Vietnamese: Corpus Mining for Linguistic Features in Narrative and Non-Narrative Genres. NAFOSTED Conference on Information and Computer Science, 221-225.
- Bui, T. (2019). Temporal Reference in Vietnamese. Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Vietnamese Linguistics: Studies in Language Companion Series, 211, 115-140.
- Ivan, R., & Bui, T. (2019). Vietnamese Anaphora: Binding Principles and the Lack Thereof. Fieldwork Perspectives on the Semantics of African, Asian, and Austronesian Languages, 5, 47-61.
- Bui, T. (2018). The Vietnamese Perfect. Sinn und Bedeutung, 21(1), 249-266.
- Bui, T. (2018). A Unified Account for Number Agreement in Algonquian Languages. Chicago Linguistic Society, 52(1), 87-100.
- Bui, T., & Ivan, R., eds. (2016). Proceedings of the Ninth Meeting of the Semantics of Under-Represented Languages in the Americas. Amherst: GLSA.
- Bui, T., & Özyıldız, D., eds. (2015). Proceedings of the Forty-Fifth Annual Meeting of the Northeast Linguistic Society. Amherst: GLSA.
AWARDS AND HONORS
- Research Fellowship, University of Massachusetts Amherst (2019)
- Doctoral Student Research Grant, University of Massachusetts Amherst (2017 – 2019)
- Graduate School Fellowship, University of Massachusetts Amherst (2014 – 2015)
- Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program Scholarship, University of Minnesota (2013 – 2014)
- Doctor of Philosophy in Linguistics, University of Massachusetts Amherst (2019)
- Bachelor of Arts in English and Linguistics, University of Minnesota (2014)