Dr. Dinh received the B.E. degree in electrical engineering from Ho Chi Minh City University of Technology, Vietnam, in 2012 and the M.E. and Ph.D. degrees in electronic engineering from Soongsil University, Seoul, South Korea, in 2015 and 2018, respectively. He is currently an Assistant Professor of Electrical Engineering at the College of Engineering and Computer Science, VinUniversity, Vietnam. Prior to this position, he was a Research Associate with the Interdisciplinary Centre for Security, Reliability and Trust (SnT), University of Luxembourg (2019-2022), a Postdoc Researcher and a Lecturer with Soongsil University (2018-2019), a Postdoctoral Visiting Scholar with the University of Technology Sydney, AUS (July-August 2018) and a Ph.D. Visiting Scholar with Queen’s University Belfast, U.K. (June-July 2015 and August 2016). Dr. Dinh received the three best conference paper awards, IEEE Communications Letters Exemplary Editor Awards 2019 and 2021, IEEE Open Journal of the Communications Society Exemplary Editor Award 2021, IEEE Transaction on Communications Exemplary Reviewer Award 2018 and IEEE GLOBECOM Student Travel Grant Award 2017. He has authored or co-authored some 70 papers published in international journals and conference proceedings. He has served as a reviewer for many top-tier international journals on wireless communications, and has also been a Technical Programme Committee Member for several flag-ship international conferences in the related fields. He is an Editor for the IEEE Open Journal of the Communications Society and IEEE Communications Letters.
Google Scholar ID: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=wgsX_zIAAAAJ&hl=en
INTELLIGENCE, COMPUTING AND COMMUNICATION (ICC) LAB
ICC Lab was founded in September 2022, when Prof. Dinh Nguyen joined the College of Engineering Computer Science, VinUniversity.
Our research interests are mainly on employing various applied mathematical tools (i.e., stochastic modeling, queueing theory and optimization theory) and machine learning techniques to design, analyze and optimize the cutting-edge applications in complexed wire/wireless networks: fog/edge/quantum computing and data center, IoT networks, 5G network resource allocations, and distributed machine learning for wireless networks.
· Applied Machine Learning Techniques
· Fog/Edge/Quantum Computing
· Context-Aware Resource Allocation
· Internet of Things
· Ultra-Reliable Low-Latency Communications
· Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs)
· Physical Layer Security
· Cognitive Radio Networks
· Full-Duplex Radios
· Open Radio Access Networks
What is research? Why we conduct it?
“The heart and soul of good writing is research; you should write not what you know but what you can find out about” (Robert J. Sawyer)
Team Members: ICC Lab has two PhD students and three research assistants (RAs). We are currently looking for TWO PhD students and THREE RAs to join us in 2023 with attractive packages. Please send your CV to the PI (email@example.com) if you are interested.
- Electromagnetic Fields and Waves
- Digital Communication System Design
- Digital Signal and Image Processing
- Computer Networks and Telecommunications
- Resource Management for 5G Networks and Services,
- Internet of Things, Wireless Communications
- Applications of Machine Learning and Optimization Theory
- Toan-Van Nguyen, Van-Dinh Nguyen, Daniel Benevides da Costa, Thien Huynh-The, Rose Qingyang Hu, and Beongku An, “Short-Packet Communications in Multi-Hop Networks with WET: Performance Analysis and Deep Learning-Aided Optimization,” IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, Aug. 2022.
- Dinh C. Nguyen, Van-Dinh Nguyen, Symeon Chatzinotas, Pubudu N. Pathirana, Ming Ding, Aruna Seneviratne, Athanasios V. Vasilakos, Octavia Dobre, “Blockchain and Deep Reinforcement Learning for Federated Offloading in Edge Computing,” IEEE Network Magazine, July 2022.
- Van-Dinh Nguyen, Symeon Chatzinotas, Björn Ottersten, Trung Q. Duong, “FedFog: Network-Aware Optimization of Federated Learning over Wireless Fog-Cloud Systems” IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, 2022.
- D. H. Tran, Van-Dinh Nguyen, S. Chatzinotas, T. X. Vu, B. Ottersten, “UAV Relay-Assisted Emergency Communications in IoT Networks: Resource Allocation and Trajectory Optimization,” IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, Jan. 2021.
- Thang X. Vu, Symeon Chatzinotas, Van-Dinh Nguyen, Dinh Thai Hoang, Diep N. Nguyen, Marco Di Renzo, and Bjorn Ottersten, “Machine Learning-Enabled Joint Antenna Selection and Precoding Design: From Offline Complexity to Online Performance”, IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 3710-3722, June 2021.
- Van-Dinh Nguyen, S. K. Sharma, T. X. Vu, S. Chatzinotas, and B. Ottersten, “Efficient Federated Learning Algorithm for Resource Allocation in Wireless IoT Networks,” IEEE Internet of Things, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 3394- 3409, Mar. 2021.
- Hieu V. Nguyen, Van-Dinh Nguyen, Octavia A. Dobre, Shree Krishna Sharma, Symeon Chatzinotas, Bjorn Ottersten, and Oh-Soon Shin, “On the Spectral and Energy Efficiencies of Full-Duplex Cell-Free Massive MIMO,” IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 38, no. 8, pp. 1698-1718, Aug. 2020.
- Van-Dinh Nguyen, Hieu V. Nguyen, Octavia A. Dobre, and Oh-Soon Shin, “A New Design Paradigm for Secure Full-Duplex Multiuser Systems,” IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 36 , no. 7 , pp. 1480-1498, July 2018.
- Van-Dinh Nguyen, Hoang Duong Tuan, Trung Q. Duong, H. Vincent Poor, and Oh-Soon Shin, “Precoder Design for Signal Superposition in MIMO-NOMA Multicell Networks,” IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 35, no. 12, pp. 2681-2695, Dec. 2017.
- Van-Dinh Nguyen, Trung Q. Duong, Octavia A. Dobre, and Oh-Soon Shin, “Joint Information and Jamming Beamforming for Secrecy Rate Maximization in Cognitive Radio Networks,” IEEE Trans. Information Forensics & Security, vol. 11, no. 11, pp. 2609-2623, Nov. 2016.
For the full list of publications, please visit my Google Scholar at https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=wgsX_zIAAAAJ&hl=en
SELECTED AWARDS AND HONORS
- 2021 Exemplary Editor Award, IEEE Open Journal of the Communications Society
- 2021 Exemplary Editor Award, IEEE Communications Letters
- 2019 Exemplary Editor Award, IEEE Communications Letters
- 2018 Exemplary Reviewer Award, IEEE Transactions on Communications
- 2018 Best Conference Paper Award, International Conference on Recent Advances in Signal Processing, Telecommunications & Computing (SigTelCom)
- 2017 Student Travel Grant Award, IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM)
- 2016 Best Conference Paper Award, IEEE Seoul Section Student Paper Contest
- 2015 Best Conference Paper Award, International Conference on Computing, Management & Telecommunications (ComManTel)
- 2013 SSU PhD Scholarship for International Student, Brain Korea 21 (BK21)
- Associate Editor for IEEE OPEN JOURNAL OF THE COMMUNICATIONS SOCIETY (OJ-COMS): Jan. 2020 – present
- Editor for IEEE COMMUNICATIONS LETTER (COMML): Jan. 2019 – present
- Guest Editor for SPRINGER-MOBILE NETWORKS & APPLICATIONS
- Track Chair/Co-Chair for many conferences
- Regular reviewer for Journals: IEEE JSAC, TWC, TON, TCOM, TMC, TSP, WCM, etc.
- TPC member, session chair, and reviewer for conferences: IEEE GLOBECOM, ICC, INFOCOM, VTC, WCNC, PIMRC, etc.
- 2018: Ph.D. in Electronic Engineering, Soongsil University
- 2015: M.E. in Electronic Engineering, Soongsil University
- 2012: B.E. in Electrical Engineering Ho Chi Minh City University of Technology (BKU) – Vietnam National University