Dr. Tuan Nguyen is a medical epidemiologist who has dedicated more than 25 years to international health. He has experience working, providing technical support, or conducting studies (including secondary data analysis or desk reviews) in 20 countries around the world. In the last ten years, he is a Regional Technical Specialist in Measurement, Learning and Evaluation for Southeast Asia of Alive & Thrive, FHI 360. He was a lecturer at the Department of Nutrition and Food Safety, Hanoi Medical University from 1996-2004.
He joined VinUni as an Adjunct Faculty to support the teaching of the Nutrition and Food Safety course.
Google Scholar ID: click
Dr. Tuan focuses on maternal and infant health, communicable and non-communicable diseases and their risk factors, health disparities, human milk banking, nutrition policies, health system strengthening, food system, and gender
- Nutrition and Food safety
- Nutritional Epidemiology
- Applied biostatistics
Dr. Tuan has coauthored multiple publications, including 50 peer-reviewed papers in Vietnamese or English, 20 book chapters, reports, 70 newspaper articles, and 4 monitoring tools.
- Nguyen TT, Tran HTT, Cashin J, Nguyen VDC, Weissman A, Nguyen TT, Kelly B, Mathisen R. Implementation of the Code of Marketing of Breast-Milk Substitutes in Vietnam: Marketing Practices by the Industry and Perceptions of Caregivers and Health Workers. Nutrients 2021;13(8). doi: 10.3390/nu13082884.
- Nguyen TT, Hajeebhoy N, Li J, Do CT, Mathisen R, Frongillo EA. Community support model on breastfeeding and complementary feeding practices in remote areas in Vietnam: implementation, cost, and effectiveness. International Journal for Equity in Health 2021;20(1):121. doi: 10.1186/s12939-021-01451-0.
- Tran HT, Nguyen TT, Giang HT, Huynh LT, Barnett D, Mathisen R, Murray JCS. Factors Associated with the Use of Pasteurized Donor Milk for Healthy Newborns: Experience from the First Human Milk Bank in Vietnam. Nutrients 2021;13(4). doi: 10.3390/nu13041151.
- Ching C, Zambrano P, Nguyen TT, Tharaney M, Zafimanjaka MG, Mathisen R. Old Tricks, New Opportunities: How Companies Violate the International Code of Marketing of Breast-Milk Substitutes and Undermine Maternal and Child Health during the COVID-19 Pandemic. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 2021;18(5). doi: 10.3390/ijerph18052381.
- Tran HT, Nguyen TT, Mathisen R. The use of human donor milk. Bmj 2020;371:m4243. doi: 10.1136/bmj.m4243.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Dr. Tuan has received nine awards, including the 2016 Early Career Scholar Award from the American Society for Nutrition and the 2016 Ward Cates Emerging Scientific Leader Award from FHI 360.
- Certificates on Leadership and Management, Cornell Online Education Programs
- Certificates on Research, Ethics, and Compliance Training, CITI Program
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of International Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland. 2011.
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas. 2010.
- PhD, Departments of Nutrition and Epidemiology, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, School of Public Health. 2008.
- MSc, Regional Center for Community Nutrition, University of Indonesia, Jakarta. 2000.
- MD, Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Hanoi Medical University, Vietnam. 1995.