Prof. Lee Suk-Koo, M.D, Ph.D is Chairman of the Surgery Committee of Vinmec International Hospital. He was a professor of Surgery at Samsung Medical Center for 25 years. He is one of the pioneers of liver transplantation in Korea. He was Director of liver transplantation program and Organ Transplant Center of Samsung Medical Center. He established liver transplantation in adults and children in 1996 at Samsung Medical Center, Seoul, Korea.
He was President of Korean Association of Pediatric Surgeons, Korean Liver transplantation Society and Korean Society for Transplantation. He graduated Seoul National University College of Medicine in 1979. He received a Ph.D. degree in 1990 and completed a surgical residency and Pediatric Surgery fellowship in Seoul National University Hospital and Transplantation fellowship in Harvard University, USA in 1994. He also worked at Johns Hopkins Hospital, USA for liver transplantation as a visiting professor. He performed more than 2,000 liver transplants in adults and children. He performed the first successful pediatric liver transplantation at Vietnam National Hospital of Pediatrics, Hanoi in 2005.
He published 13 book chapters and more than 390 papers both in local and international journals. His research interests are hepatocyte transplantation, bioartificial liver support system and hepatic stem cell research.
- 13 book chapters, more than 390 articles.
- Research: hepatocyte transplantation, Bioartificial liver support system, Hepatic stem cell research.
SELECTED AWARDS AND HONORS
- 10/10/2003: Chongke Undang Academic Award, Korean Society for Transplantation.
- 23/02/2005: Award for Research, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine.
- 25/09/2007: Award for Devotion , Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine.
- 05/03/2008: Pfizer Medical Research Award, National Academy of Medicine of Korea.
- 13/11/2010: Astellas Investigator Award, Korean Society for Transplantation.
- 27/10/2015: Daewoong Medical Award, Daewoong Foundation.
- 08/11/2019: Award for Devotion on 25th Anniversary, Samsung Medical Center.
- 03/1973 – 02/1975: Premedical School, College of Humanity and Science, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea.
- 03/1975 – 02/1979: College of Medicine, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea. Graduated with M.D. degree & Magna cum laude.
- 03/1982 – 02/1984: Postgraduate Medical School, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea. Graduated with an M.S. degree.
- 03/1987 – 02/1990: Postgraduate Medical School, Catholic University, Seoul, Korea. Graduated with Ph.D. degree.