Professor Vu Duong joins VinUniversity as Honorary Dean of College of Engineering and Computer Science. He concurrently serves as a Professor at School of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering and Director of Air Traffic Management Research Institute of Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore. Prior to the assignment at NTU, he had been Founding-Director of John von Neumann Institute, Viet Nam National University Ho Chi Minh City (VNU-HCM). Recently, he has also been appointed Advisor to Vietnam Minister of Planning and Investment on Innovation Strategy.
Professor Duong is a world-recognized leader in Air Traffic Management research. He had been Head of Innovative Research then Senior Scientific Advisor at the European Organization for Safety of Air Navigation – EUROCONTROL (1995-2012), and a member of European Commission’s SESAR JU Scientific Committee (2010 – 2012). During his service time with EUROCONTROL, he had been at the origin of the works that led to the innovative Airborne Separation Advisory System, Airborne Autonomous Operations, Sector-less Flight-Centric Air Traffic Management as well as several foundations for Air Traffic Flow Management. Vu was the founder or co-founder of 3 most prestigious conference series in Air Traffic Management and Air Transportation and 2 conference series in ICT and Artificial Intelligence. His research interest lies in the cornerstone of Machine Learning data-driven models, optimization and automation for ATM. He has published more than 100 articles in peer-reviewed journals and conferences, and has supervised more than 20 Doctoral Theses in Operations Research, Systems and Computer Science applied to Air Traffic Management.
Vu’s involvement in Vietnam higher education dated back to 1998 when he first came back teaching Computer Vision at the Francophone Institute for Computer Science in Hanoi. Since then he has been teaching Scientific Research Methods, Analytic & Critical Thinking and Innovation at VNU-HCM. As an Academic Advisor to University of Sciences of VNU-HCM, he designed and has contributed to the success of the country’s Advanced Program in Computer Science since 2006. While was with John von Neumann Institute of VNU-HCM he launched the first ever double-diploma programs Master of Science and Master of Engineering between VNU-HCM and Telecom-Paris (2010) and with ENSAE-ParisTech (2011). He pioneered specialized graduate education in Vietnam with the nation’s first-ever Master of Science in Quantitative Finance in 2011 and Master of Science in ICT specialized in Data Science & Analytics in 2014. Vu was also the principal designer of Fulbright University Vietnam’s undergraduate curriculum for Computer Science on the foundation of Liberal Arts. At VinUniversity, his goals are to design and promote integrated BS/MS and PhD Programs combining Artificial Intelligence & Innovation to solid traditional undergraduate foundations in Computer Science, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering as well as to develop other specialized programs to meet up with societal demands for talented workforce of entrepreneurial innovators and highly skilled, multi-disciplinary experts.
Vu attended Ecole Nationale des Ponts et Chaussées of France where he obtained the degree of Master in Engineering in 1986, and Ph.D. in Artificial Intelligence in 1990. In his free time, Vu practices Marathon and Triathlon. He is currently President of Viet Nam Triathlon Club and is an IRONMAN Ambassador.
- Air Traffic Management
- Artificial Intelligence
- Complex Systems Modelling
- Data Analytics.
- PN Tran, DT Pham, SK Goh, S Alam, V Duong (2020), An Interactive Conflict Solver for Learning Air Traffic Conflict Resolutions, Journal of Aerospace Information Systems 17 (6), 271-277
- Y Wang, Y Cao, C Zhu, F Wu, M Hu, V Duong, M Watkins, B Barzel (2020), Universal Patterns in Passenger Flight Departure Delays, Nature – Scientific Reports 10 (1), 1-10
- PW Yao, YJ Wang, CP Zhu, F Wu, MH Hu, HJ Yang, V Duong (2019), A Universal State Equation of Particle Gases for Passenger Flights in United States, Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, V. 545 – 123748
- C Ma, Q Cai, S Alam, B Sridhar, V Duong (2019), Airway Network Management Using Braess’s Paradox, Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies 105, 565-579
- Y Wang, Q Zhang, C Zhu, M Hu, V Duong (2016), Human Activity Under High Pressure: A Case Study On Fluctuation, Scaling Of Air Traffic Controller’s Communication Behaviors, Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications 441, 151-157
- Y Wang, F Vormer, M Hu, V Duong (2013), Empirical Analysis Of Air Traffic Controller Dynamics, Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies 33, 203-213
- A Nilim, L El Ghaoui, V Duong, M Hansen (2001), Trajectory-Based Air Traffic Management (TB-ATM) Under Weather Uncertainty, Proc. of the Fourth International Air Traffic Management R&D Seminar ATM
- V Duong, G Gawinowski, JP Nicolaon, D Smith (2001), Sector-less Air Traffic Management, Proc. of the Fourth International Air Traffic Management R&D Seminar ATM
- PhD, 1990, Artificial Intelligence, Ecole Nationale des Ponts et Chaussées, France
- ME, 1986, Ecole Nationale des Ponts et Chaussées, France
Adapted from NTU Academic Profile.