Associate Professor Pham Ngoc Nam is the Vice Dean of College of Engineering and Computer Science, VinUniversity, Vingroup and also a visiting scholar at Cornell University. He earned his bachelor’s degree in Electronics Engineering from Hanoi University of Science and Technology (HUST) in 1997 and his M.S. in Artificial Intelligence and Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering from KU Leuven, Belgium in 1999 and 2004 respectively. His research interests include Artificial Intelligence, QoS/QoE management for multimedia applications, reconfigurable computing and low-power embedded system design. He is the author, co-author of 100 scientific articles including more than 30 ISI and Scopus publications. He has been the PI of 1 key national project, 3 ministerial-level projects and a key member in four other national projects.
Prior to joining VinUni, he was with Hanoi University of Science and Technology where he served as Vice Dean at School of Electronics and Telecommunications. With this position, he has gained a lot of experience in CDIO based curriculum development and AUN-QA quality assessment at program level. He attended various trainings, both at home and abroad, on curriculum development and accreditation, quality assurance, higher education leadership development, active teaching/learning. He was a visiting professor at the University of Aizu, Japan in 2015, at Chulalongkon University, Thailand in 2013, and at University of Wisconsin at Madison, USA in 2009.
Google Scholar ID: click here
ORCID: click here
- Artificial Intelligence
- QoS/QoE management for multimedia applications
- Reconfigurable computing
- Low-power embedded system design
- Thinh, P.H., Dat, N.T., Nam, P.N. et al. An Efficient QoE-Aware HTTP Adaptive Streaming over Software Defined Networking. Mobile Netw Appl (2020).
- Tran, H. T., Hoang, T. H., Minh, P. N., Ngoc, N. P., & Thang, T. C. (2020). A Weighted Viewport Quality Metric for Omnidirectional Images. IEICE TRANSACTIONS on Information and Systems, 103(1), 67-70.
- H. T. T. Tran, D. V. Nguyen, N. P. Ngoc, T. H. Hoang, T. T. Huong and T. C. Thang, Impacts of Retina-Related Zones on Quality Perception of Omnidirectional Image. IEEE Access, vol. 7, pp. 166997-167009, 2019.
- TT Tran, H., Ngoc, N. P., Pham, C. T., Jung, Y. J., & Thang, T. C. (2019). A Subjective Study on User Perception Aspects in Virtual Reality. Applied Sciences, 9(16), 3384.
- Hong Thinh Pham, Ngoc Nam Pham, Huu Thanh Nguyen, Alan Marshall, Thu Huong Truong , A Hybrid of Adaptation and Dynamic Routing based on SDN for Improving QoE in HTTP Adaptive VBR Video Streaming. International Journal of Computer Science and Network Security, VOL.19 No.7, July 2019, Pages 51-64.
- Le, H. T., Nguyen, T., Ngoc, N. P., Pham, A. T., & Thang, T. C. (2018). HTTP/2 Push-Based Low-Delay Live Streaming Over Mobile Networks With Stream Termination. IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, 28(9), 2423-2427.
- Bormans, J., Ngoc, N. P., Deconinck, G., & Lafruit, G. (2003). Terminal QoS: advanced resource management for cost-effective multimedia appliances in dynamic contexts. In Ambient Intelligence: Impact on Embedded Sytem Design (pp. 183-201). Springer.
- Nam Pham Ngoc, Thanh Nguyen Huu, Trong Vu Quang, Vu Tran Hoang, Huong Truong Thu, Phuoc Tran-Gia, Christian Schwartz (2015), A new power profiling method and power scaling mechanism for energy-aware NetFPGA gigabit router, Elsevier – Computer Networks, Vol 78, Pages: 4-25.
- Thanh Nguyen Huu, Nam Pham Ngoc, Huong Truong Thu, Thuan Tran Ngoc, Duong Nguyen Minh, Hung Nguyen Tai, Thu Ngo Quynh, David Hock, Christian Schwartz (2013), Modeling and experimenting combined smart sleep and power scaling algorithms in energy-aware data center networks, Elsevier – Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory, Vol 39, Pages 20-40.
- Lafruit, G., Ngoc, N. P., van Raemdonck, W., Tack, N., & Bormans, J. (2003). Terminal QoS for real-time 3-D visualization using scalable MPEG-4 coding. IEEE transactions on circuits and systems for video technology, 13(11), 1136-1143.
For the full list of publications please visit: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=QyHwvk8AAAAJ&hl=vi
- Introduction to Engineering and Computer Science
- Digital Design and Computer Architecture
- Reconfigurable computing
- Embedded System design
SELECTED AWARDS AND HONORS
- Certificate of Merit from the Minister of Science and Technology for Excellence in research and Teaching, 2016.
- Certificate of Merit from the Minister of Education and Training for Excellence in research and Teaching, 2011, 2013, 2015.
- KU Leuven full scholarship (Merit-based) for PhD program study, 1999-2004.
- Belgian Government full scholarship (Merit-based) for Master program study, 1998-1999.
- PhD in Electrical Engineering, KU Leuven, Belgium, 2004
- MSc in Artificial Intelligence, KU Leuven, Belgium, 1999
- BSc in Electronics engineering, Hanoi University of Science and Technology, 1997