Dr. Morrison received her BA from Boston University, and MD from University of Pennsylvania. She completed an internal medicine internship/residency at Beth Israel, Boston, MA, and Georgetown and an additional year at the NHLBI before returning to University of Pennsylvania to complete a Nephrology Fellowship. She is board certified in Internal Medicine (1974) and Nephrology (1976).
Dr. Morrison is a Professor of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania in the Department of Medicine, Penn Medicine and has been on the faculty since 1976. She has had numerous educational leadership roles including Renal Medicine (1976-1986) overseeing the dialysis program, Department of Medicine (1986-1995) and School of Medicine as Senior Vice Dean for Education (1995-2017). Nationally, she has been involved with founding of CDIM in 1991. In 2015, during her tenure as Senior Vice Dean she obtained support from the Measey Foundation to build the Benjamin and Mary Siddons Measey Learning Commons within the Jordan Medical Education Center. Under her leadership, the Measey Foundation bestowed a 1 million dollar grant (2014-2016) to develop a comprehensive program to incorporate ultrasound training into the medical school and to implement the use of this program as a primary part of the school’s Learning Management system.
In 2016, she was appointed the William Maul Measey President’s Distinguished Professor in Medical Education, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine Endowed Chair. In her Executive Director’s role for the Innovation Center for Online Medical Education (ICOME), Dr. Morrison is now involved in developing and implementing innovative on-line medical education programs for the Perelman School of Medicine.
In her position as Special Advisor to the Dean, Dr. Morrison was designated the Undergraduate Medical Education Curriculum Director for the Vingroup-Penn Alliance, which is part of Penn’s Global Health new Center of Engagement in Southeast Asia. The Center has collaborated with the private, non-profit VinUniversity to establish a new medical and nursing school in Vietnam. As Director, she is working collaboratively with VinUni, overseeing the development of the undergraduate curriculum and aligned faculty and institutional support structures to establish high caliber programs in medicine.
She has received recognition for teaching and training with the following awards: AAMC 2018 Alpha Omega Alpha Robert J. Glaser Distinguished Teacher Award, University of Pennsylvania/PSOM-Lindback Award for Education, CDIM’s Outstanding Education Program Development Award, Daniel C. Tosteson Leadership Award in Medical Education (Harvard Medical School) and Perelman School of Medicine’s Lifetime Achievement Award in 2018.
B.A. (Biology/Chemistry) Boston University, 1967. M.D. University Of Pennsylvania School Of Medicine, 1971.
- Daniel Michelle, Fleming Amy, Grochowski Colleen O’Conner, Harnik Vicky, Klimstra Sibel, Morrison Gail, Pock Arnyce, Schwartz Michael L, Santen Sally: Why Not Wait? Eight Institutions Share Their Experiences Moving United States Medical Licensing Examination Step 1 After Core Clinical Clerkships. Academic medicine : journal of the Association of American Medical Colleges Apr 2017.
- Umscheid Craig A, Maenner Matthew J, Mull Nikhil, Veesenmeyer Angela F, Farrar John T, Goldfarb Stanley, Morrison Gail, Albanese Mark A, Frohna John G, Feldstein David A: Using educational prescriptions to teach medical students evidence-based medicine. Medical teacher 38(11): 1112-1117, Nov 2016.
- Acar Yahya, Tezel Onur, Salman Necati, Cevik Erdem, Algaba-Montes Margarita, Oviedo-García Alberto, Patricio-Bordomás Mayra, Mahmoud Mustafa Z, Sulieman Abdelmoneim, Ali Abbas, Mustafa Alrayah, Abdelrahman Ihab, Bahar Mustafa, Ali Osama, Lester Kirchner H, Prosen Gregor, Anzic Ajda, Leeson Paul, Bahreini Maryam, Rasooli Fatemeh, Hosseinnejad Houman, Blecher Gabriel, Meek Robert, Egerton-Warburton Diana, Ćuti Edina Ćatić, Belina Stanko, Vančina Tihomir, Kovačević Idriz, Rustemović Nadan, Chang Ikwan, Lee Jin Hee, Kwak Young Ho, Kim Do Kyun, Cheng Chi-Yung, Pan Hsiu-Yung, Kung Chia-Te, Ćurčić Ela, Pritišanac Ena, Planinc Ivo, Medić Marijana Grgić, Radonić Radovan, Fasina Abiola, Dean Anthony J, Panebianco Nova L, Henwood Patricia S, Fochi Oliviero, Favarato Moreno, Bonanomi Ezio, Tomić Ivan, Ha Youngrock, Toh Hongchuen, Harmon Elizabeth, Chan Wilma, Baston Cameron, Morrison Gail, Shofer Frances, Hua Angela, Kim Sharon, Tsung James, Gunaydin Isa, Kekec Zeynep, Ay Mehmet Oguzhan, Kim Jinjoo, Kim Jinhyun, Choi Gyoosung, Shim Dowon, Lee Ji-Han, Ambrozic Jana, Prokselj Katja, Lucovnik Miha, Simenc Gabrijela Brzan, Mačiulienė Asta, Maleckas Almantas, Kriščiukaitis Algimantas, Mačiulis Vytautas, Macas Andrius, Mohite Sharad, Narancsik Zoltan, Možina Hugon, Nikolić Sara, Hansel Jan, Petrovčič Rok, Mršić Una, Orlob Simon, Lerchbaumer Markus, Schönegger Niklas, Kaufmann Reinhard, Pan Chun-I, Wu Chien-Hung, Pasquale Sarah, Doniger Stephanie J, Yellin Sharon, Chiricolo Gerardo, Potisek Maja, Drnovšek Borut, Leskovar Boštjan, Robinson Kristine, Kraft Clara, Moser Benjamin, Davis Stephen, Layman Shelley, Sayeed Yusef, Minardi Joseph, Pasic Irmina Sefic, Dzananovic Amra, Pasic Anes, Zubovic Sandra Vegar, Hauptman Ana Godan, Brajkovic Ana Vujaklija, Babel Jaksa, Peklic Marina, Radonic Vedran, Bielen Luka, Ming Peh Wee, Yezid Nur Hafiza, Mohammed Fatahul Laham, Huda Zainal Abidin, Ismail Wan Nasarudin Wan, Isa W Yus Haniff W, Fauzi Hashairi, Seeva Praveena, Mazlan Mohd Zulfakar: 12th WINFOCUS world congress on ultrasound in emergency and critical care. Critical ultrasound journal 8(Suppl 1): 12, Sep 2016.
- Cangiarella Joan, Gillespie Colleen, Shea Judy A, Morrison Gail, Abramson Steven B: Accelerating medical education: a survey of deans and program directors. Medical education online 21: 31794, 2016.
- Goldfarb Stanley, Morrison Gail: Continuous curricular feedback: a formative evaluation approach to curricular improvement. Academic medicine : journal of the Association of American Medical Colleges 89(2): 264-9, Feb 2014.
- Goldfarb Stanley, Morrison Gail: The 3-year medical school–change or shortchange? The New England journal of medicine 369(12): 1087-9, Sep 2013.
- Merlin JS, Morrison G, Gluckman S, Lipschik G, Linkin DR, Lyon S, O’Grady E, Calvert H, Friedman H : Blood and Body Fluid Exposures Among US Medical Students in Botswana. J Gen Intern Med 26(5): 561-4, May 2011.
- Morrison, G: Supplemental: A Snapshot of Medical Student Education in the United States and Canada. Academic Medicine 85(9): S495-S500, Sept 2010.
- Morrison G, Lanken P, Goldfarb S: Team Training of Medical Students in the 21st Century: Would Flexner Approve? Flexner Centenary issue, , Vol. 85, No. 2, February 2010. Academic Medicine 2010 85(2): 254-259, Feb 2010.
- McOwen, KS, Bellini, LM, Morrison G., Shea J: The development and implementation of a health system wide evaluation system – Build it and they will come. Academic Medicine 84(10): 1352-9, Oct 2009.