BACHELOR OF NURSING PROGRAM AT VINUNIVERSITY
To advance healthcare in Vietnam and the world through leading education, innovative research and technology.
Professor Michele J. Upvall, RN, CNE, FAAN
Ph.D., Nursing, University of Utah
Professor Maurizio Trevisan
M.S., Epidemiology, State University of New York, USA
MD., University of Naples, Italy
Nguyen Hoang Long, RN
Ph.D., Nursing Science, Chulalongkorn University, Thailand
Vice Dean for Nursing
College of Health Sciences
Program Director – Nursing Program
News & Events
1. The cost of the Nursing program is very high. Are there scholarships and financial aid for students?
At VinUni we believe that financial constraints should not prevent talented students from getting the best education. Generous scholarships and aid are available to nursing students. The best students will get scholarships to cover 100% of their educational costs. Financial aid packages that cover 50%, 70%, or 80% of tuition are also available. Check out the VinUni admissions website for detailed information. https://vinuni.edu.vn/students/en/
2. What are some career options for a graduate of the nursing program?
BN graduates will enjoy guaranteed opportunities in the Vinmec healthcare system. The top students will also get the opportunity to work at other national and even international hospitals and clinics.
Since the BN program is compliant with international standards, BN graduates will be certified for pursuing nursing specializations, research fellowships, and masters and Ph.D. programs in nursing education. In addition, when VinUni offers a future masters program in nursing, BN graduates will be able to get credits transferred to the Masters in Nursing program.
3. Will I have an opportunity to work at VinMec?
Yes, all nursing graduates will have guaranteed placement within the VinMec healthcare system with attractive salaries.
4. What if my English is not very good? Will I be successful in this program?
Proficiency in English is an important component of a global education and career readiness. VinUni will offer a thorough and comprehensive English language remediation and proficiency program for all those students who would benefit from such a program. In addition to an intensive language program, there will be ongoing English language coursework throughout the four years. Read more about our English language requirements here https://vinuni.edu.vn/news-list/faq-for-early-admissions-results/4/
5. What makes the BN program at VinUniversity special?
The BN program at VinUniversity is truly the first of its kind in Vietnam. It is designed by the world’s leading experts in nursing to be relevant within Vietnam and the world. Some of the unique characteristics that set it apart are:
- curriculum that is based on international standards, co-designed by the University of Pennsylvania (ranked first in the world for nursing education), and fully aligned with US nursing education in terms of accreditation, content, and licensure exam;
- interdisciplinary coursework with students from the Doctor of Medicine, Engineering, Computer Science, and Business programs providing exposure to fields of study and practice that are interconnected with nursing;
- BN faculty are accomplished and experienced academics and practitioners who are experts in nursing. Over 80% of them have Ph.D.s. VinUni faculty will be trained by and work closely with the faculty and professionals at the University of Pennsylvania in order to provide a high quality international education;
- active learning methods, such as team-based learning, problem-based learning, case-based learning, virtual reality assisted learning, and experiential learning in Vinmec and other leading hospitals;
- high tech, state-of-the-art facilities and equipment—pre-clinical labs and simulation centers for training of professional procedures, communication skills, and scenario-based simulation;
- international internships and study—BN students will have the opportunity to work at international hospitals or facilities and to travel abroad for a semester in order to study at other top universities and practice at top hospitals; and
- English language education—to truly prepare BN students to be global professionals, the medium of instruction will be English.
In addition to the unique and highly attractive features of the BN program, students will benefit from VinUni as a whole, such as our amazing sustainable campus, a stimulating student body, a world-class faculty, and our close engagement with Vingroup companies.
6. Can you tell me more about the curriculum for the BN program?
The BN program is focused on Excellence in Care, Excellence in Evidence, and Excellence in Outcome. VinUni nursing students will become fully competent in nursing practice procedures. They will be exposed to the most advanced learning experiences through state-of-the-art technology and research. The learning environment is one that is supportive of and conducive to student growth and learning.
Our curriculum is focused on creating skills for lifelong learners through self-directed learning. Students will be engaged in small group instruction from a strong dedicated team of lecturers and mentors; this innovative approach emphasizes learning through practice and combines the best of advanced technology with real world human contact.
7. Could you tell me more about the overseas exchange semester?
The BN program will extend opportunities for overseas study — initially to the USA, Japan, and Thailand.
8. What makes a good nurse?
A good nurse is a caring and compassionate professional who has an outstanding understanding of science, clinical knowledge, and technical skills. Our nursing program is based on four themes:
- science and research;
- clinical knowledge; and
- clinical and technical skills.
9. How long is the program? Can I fast track?
The BN program is a 4 year program consisting of 8 semesters. In addition to the 8 semesters, students will have one summer semester to complete their general education courses so that they can focus on their professional studies during the later years. The BN program recommends its students to fulfill all requirements within 4 years. Since students meet the required competencies through all course experiences, it is not possible to complete a BN program sooner than 4 years.
10. Am I allowed to select my own courses, or is there a set of predetermined courses?
VinUni will employ the credit-system for the management of all programs. This means that students will have options to determine the progress of their learning and the selection of courses. However, since the BN program is very structured, course selection and registration will be supported by a student’s academic advisor, ensuring program completion on time. The BN program and VinUni also offer many elective courses that students can select to enrich their learning experience. Students will be granted their degree once they have fulfilled all the requirements of the program.
11. How will nursing students receive feedback on their performance?
Our students will receive various types and methods of feedback throughout the 4 year program. These feedback mechanisms are incorporated in both theory and practice at various stages in the curriculum. The students will receive immediate feedback through participation in self-assessment exercises. Faculty, mentors, and members of the clinical/ academic team will be accessible to students for coaching and guidance throughout their studies. Moreover, peers and real and standardized patients will provide crucial feedback.
12. What is the corporate immersion semester about?
Vinmec hospitals and clinics are the practice settings for nursing students of VinUni. All nursing students will have opportunities to be immersed in hospital and patient care settings very early in their educational program.
13. Do I have a career counselor? Would the school help me find a job?
Yes, VinUni will help students find job placements and provide counseling for international job placement.
14. Is it necessary to decide now what I will do after becoming a nurse?
Not at all. Decisions are usually made after graduation. Throughout the 4 year nursing program, students will be attending various specialty clinics and have the opportunity to work with a variety of patients. Students will be prepared to practice nursing internationally. Students interested in a particular specialty may take electives in order to determine which area they may want to further pursue for their specialization. Faculty advisors and career counsellors will assist students in making decisions regarding their specialty, as well as, career paths and options.
15. After graduation, can I work abroad?
Yes, you can. We developed our program based on the United States and international standards; students will take an exam compatible with the US NCLEX License exam. However, you have to pass the exam in order to work abroad.
16. How does VinUniversity support my startup ideas?
VinUni strongly advocates for entrepreneurship and interprofessional education. BN students will be exposed to myriad activities that will inspire their ideas as they collaborate with students from other majors to solve problems. Entrepreneurial Mindset is one of the required courses at VinUni. Also, an extensive connection with various Vingroup entities, especially Vinmec, will provide students with lots of environments in which to apply their ideas.