FAQS FOR GENERAL ADMISSIONS
1. Who is eligible to apply for VinUni’s intake class of 2020?
Any individual (Vietnamese or from abroad) who will graduate high school before September 2020*, or who has graduated high school already, is eligible to apply for VinUni’s intake of 2020.
*This date is subject to change following MOET’s guideline for the 2020 National Exam date.
Note: MOET has recently implemented guidelines for the minimum GPA required for entrance to MD and BN programs (Link). While these minimum GPA are not required for applying to VinUni, they will be considered as part of the VinUni admissions decision making process.
2. I currently am studying under an international high school program. Can I apply to VinUni’s intake of 2020?
We welcome both domestic & international students. Students from any curriculum are invited to submit their profiles to VinUni.
3. Is there a fee for applying to VinUni?
The application fee is waived for all applicants for the 2020 intake. There is no cost to apply.
4. Which academic programs are available at VinUni?
VinUniversity plans to have three Colleges and will offer 8-degree programs as follows: https://vinuni.edu.vn/academic/
College of Business and Management:
- Bachelor of Business Administration (4 years)
- Bachelor of Science in Hospitality Management (4 years)
- Bachelor of Science in Real Estate (4 years)
College of Health Sciences:
- Doctor of Medicine (6 years)
- Bachelor of Nursing (4 years)
College of Engineering and Computer Science:
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science (4 years)
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering (4 years)
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering (4 years)
5. How can I apply to VinUni?
Interested students can apply to VinUni using the online application form available here . The application form has several sections. Applicants must complete all sections and provide all the information listed below, before they can submit the application. All applications must be submitted online. No applications or supporting documents can be submitted on paper, via email. These are listed below:
- Personal Information
- Academic Achievements: GPA, A Level exams, IB results, Olympics awards, competitions, etc. over the last 3 years
- English proficiency (IELTS, TOEFl, etc.) if you have take any such tests
- Non-academic achievements (competitions, sports, music, arts, volunteer activity, and anything else that is of interest to you)
- Five short-answer questions
- Recommendation letters from teachers or others who know you well
- Declaration of self-work
- Supporting documents: copies of certificates, transcripts to support the academic and non-academic achievements.
All components of the application must be uploaded with your application on the website: https://vinuni.force.com
6. Is there a different application for each college or program?
No. There is only one form for all applicants to VinUni. You can select the program that you wish to pursue. You can select up to three programs and tell us your order of preference. When we evaluate your application, we will first assess if you might be a good fit for the program of your first choice. If our faculty believe that your interests and talents may be better suited for another program that is your second or third choice, we will offer you that choice.
7. What if I am not sure which program I want to apply for?
We understand that this can be a difficult choice to make, especially since you most likely don’t know what the particular program entails or what the careers or opportunities in those fields might be like. We invite you to learn more about these programs by visiting the VinUni website https://vinuni.edu.vn/. If you are unsure of the program but have an idea of the College that you wish to attend, you can select the program and college that appeal to you most. We will do our best to coach and guide you in making the final decision when the time comes to do so.
At VinUni we believe in choices and flexibility: choices for students even after they have made one already. If after a semester or two at VinUni you decide that the program that you are in, is not right for you, we will work with you to find one that fuels your passion and helps you be successful.
8. Can I submit the materials by email or mail them to the VinUni office?
No. We will only accept applications submitted through the online portal https://vinuni.force.com
9. How many rounds of application reviews does VinUni have?
For the 2020 intake, VinUni has an Early Decision cycle of applications, beginning on Nov 11, 2019. This cycle is now closed. We have sent offer letters to admitted students, and plan to announce scholarship decisions by middle of March.The Regular Admissions cycle begins in February 2020.
10. How should I decide if I want to apply in the Early Decision or the Regular Decision cycle?
The Early Decision cycle is for those applicants who have a keen desire to attend VinUni, and would like to have assurance of getting in to VinUni at the earliest opportunity.
All applicants who meet the minimum eligibility threshold but are not successful in the Early Decision cycle will be automatically added to the pool of applicants in the Regular Decision cycle.
The Regular Decision cycle will involve the same review process as Early Decision.
11. How will VinUni evaluate my application?
VinUniversity performs a holistic application review to understand candidates as “whole persons”. Each application is thoroughly reviewed by VinUni faculty and experts in the respective fields, and will go through pre-screening and two rounds of review:
- Pre-screening – We will only screen out those applications that don’t meet the eligibility criteria, such as grade level, significantly low GPA or academic records, incomplete or carelessly written applications.
- Cycle 1- Online application evaluation – Faculty and admissions specialists review each application submitted. A shortlist of applicants will be invited to Round 2.
- Cycle 2 – In-person Assessment – VinUni will invite shortlisted applicants to attend a full day of assessment. This will include a 45-minute personal Interview/scenario-based challenge with faculty and some other activities that help you to get to know us and us to know you better.
Based on the evaluation results, we will also decide the scholarship and financial aid for each admitted student.
12. What are the key dates to remember for admissions?
Starting from Nov 11, 2019, we welcome all prospective students to express their interest in VinUni by sending profiles & documents as per our instructions.
- Nov 11, 2019 – Dec 08, 2019: Receive documents from interested students.
- Week of Dec 20, 2019: First Round results announced.
- Feb-March: Results announced, students make decision to attend VinUni.
VinUni will open the Regular Application cycle as follows:
- Feb, 2020 – 1st week of April, 2020: Receive applications.
- May, 2020: Announce results, scholarships and financial support.
13. Do I need to complete my application in one sitting or can I work on it over time and submit when I am ready?
You can start your application any time after the online admissions are open, and make as many changes as you would like, save the changes and keep working on it little by little before submitting it. As you are working on your application, you can call us, or write to us to ask for help. Check the applications portal for contact information.
14. Can I submit my application after the deadline?
To ensure that each applicant is subject to the same rules, applications cannot be submitted after the deadline (April 5, 2020 for regular admissions). Remember to save your application often as you are working on it. To avoid any last-minute glitches with document upload, internet connectivity and other unforeseen circumstances, we recommend that you submit your application at least 3-4 days in advance of the deadline.
15. Can I make changes to my application after I submit it?
No. Your submitted form is considered final and you will not be able to make any further changes. Please be sure to double-check the application to make sure that it has accurate information and is complete. The quality of your application is our first look at you as a candidate for VinUni. Of course, if you forgot to add a document or need to upload an updated version of your document, you can let us know. We will send the application back to you in “Amendment” status and you can add the information that you want. Make sure that you submit your application back to us, so that we can review it.
16. What is “GPA”? What is a “GPA scale”?
- Your GPA (Grade Point Average) is your class grade at the end of each year as reflected in your transcripts. You will need to share your overall GPA for grades 10 and 11. Upload your transcripts with your application, so we can understand your scores clearly. If you have your overall GPA for the first semester of the 2019–20 school year please submit it also.
- Your GPA scale is determined by what type of school you go to. The majority of schools in Vietnam use the 10.0-point scale, so your overall GPAs will be out of 10. Some private or international schools use a different scale e.g. 4.0-scale. You may have attended two different schools with different scales. Please select the appropriate scale for your overall GPA for each year.
17. Do I need to notarize or translate my high school transcripts?
No. If your transcripts are written in Vietnamese or English, please submit them as is. If your transcripts are written in any language other than Vietnamese or English, please translate it into either language. You do not need to notarize them. Our relationship with you is based on integrity and mutual trust, and the application process is the first step towards building that trust.
18. I have not taken international standardized exams such as the SAT, or ACT. Will I not be considered?
VinUniversity does not require any standardized exams such as SAT, ACT. We are interested in learning about you as a whole person and we do not rely on any one metric to decide who should be a VinUni student. If you have taken any of these tests please do provide them as they will be considered along with the other aspects of your profile. If you haven’t, don’t worry; we will have plenty of other ways to assess whether VinUni might be the place for you. Since English language proficiency is an important factor in your ability to keep up with the academic program, we recommend that you take some standardized test for English proficiency. However, it is not required.
19. I am already enrolled in a University program elsewhere and would like to transfer to VinUni. Am I allowed and will my course credits get transferred to VinUni?
We welcome anyone who wishes to learn at VinUni and meets our academic and talent criteria. Due to the unique and innovative nature of our curriculum, we are unable to grant credit for studies at another university. We would invite you to join and grow with the freshman class of 2020!
20. What is the medium of instruction at VinUniversity? What if my English is not very good?
The medium of instruction at VinUniversity is English. If you receive an offer from VinUni, we will work with you to help improve your English proficiency through English language programs before you start and as needed throughout your studies with us. We also have a team of English teaching professionals who will support all students during their studies if they need help with writing skills, assignments, extra practice, etc.
21. Is the letter of offer a guarantee for admission to VinUniversity?
The letter of offer is conditional upon your successful completion of your high school requirements and the integrity of information in your application. We may audit the information that you have provided in your application for accuracy.
22. When do I start studies if I am admitted to VinUni Class of 2020 – 2024?
We expect that students will start the Pre-University Program in early July 2020. The Pre-University program will prepare students with the necessary English & Study Skills to succeed at VinUni.
The first-semester instruction will start in early September 2020.
23. Where will I study and live at VinUni?
VinUniversity campus is located at Vinhomes Ocean Park, Gia Lam, Ha Noi. https://vinuni.edu.vn/campus-en/
In a first of a kind university experience in Vietnam, but practiced in the world’s best universities, all first-year students will live in VinUni dormitories, truly co-living, co-working and co-learning together. We strongly believe that living together allows all students to make social connections, study and learn together and build lasting bonds that will be beneficial throughout their life.
24.Can I submit multiple applications concurrently?
No, you can only submit one application for admission. You may, however, select more than one degree program in that application. If we receive multiple applications from one individual we will review the first application that we receive from you and cancel the others.