VinUni seeks an entrepreneurial academic leader with rigorous academic credentials in computer science, engineering, business management, or health sciences and with strong administrative leadership background, to serve as the Vice Provost, Research & Innovation (VPRI). The VPRI reports to the Provost and works with other leaders and colleagues across the University to pursue the vision and goals of the university. She/he is expected to lead and promote highest quality research, technological innovation, and commercialization efforts of the University across all its colleges and units.
The VPRI provides leadership for the planning, development, implementation, assessment, and improvement of all research programs, policies and supporting infrastructure. The VPRI plays a critical role in setting the research vision of the University, providing leadership to faculty and staff, and ensuring consistent quality standards in all its research activities. The VPRI oversees the research integrity and provides leadership in long-range planning, budgeting, and program development for research. The VPRI in collaboration with the Provost’s office ensures compliance with various accreditation agencies as well as federal accreditation and regulations.
Major responsibilities for this position include:
- The VPRI along with the senior leadership team of the University must lead the effort to develop a strategy for research priorities of the university and establish cross-disciplinary (linking health sciences, engineering and computer science, business administration, and social sciences) initiatives that will put VinUni, and Vietnam on the global map of thought leadership.
- University-wide research centers (E.g: Center for Smart Health, Center for Smart Tourism & Hospitality), research administration (including VinUni’s seed grant program, office for intellectual property) and other major university-wide initiatives related to research and innovation.
- The VPRI is expected to engage with not only Vingroup and its affiliated companies, but also with other organizations in Vietnam and around the world to develop a robust and mutually beneficial industry engagement program for research, technological innovation, and commercialization.
- To further build and firmly establish VinUni’s identity as a major university, it will be important for the university to start hosting academic collaboration events, such as roundtables, conferences, and symposia that bring academic scholars and industry executives to its campus for engaging discussions. The VPRI must lead the process of hosting such university-wide events related to research and innovation.
- As a member of the senior leadership team of the University, the VPRI serves on university’s Academic Advisory Board, chairs the university research committee, and maybe be asked to take on special responsibility from time to time, based on availability, need, and urgency.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Distinguished scholar with academic record to warrant the position of associate professor or full professor in computer science, engineering, business administration, or health sciences at high-quality university (e.g. QS top “50 under 50 university”)
- Demonstrated experience with research administration and technology commercialization.
- Successful experience in progressively responsible research, administrative, and educational leadership positions at a high-quality academic institution.
- Demonstrated successful experience in strategic planning, fiscal management, resource allocation, and personnel supervision preferably of a large and complex academic institution
- Demonstrated ability to work with faculty, staff, and students as well as community groups of diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (in English) and strong professional network
- An appreciative understanding of the challenges that inevitably arise from the operation of a new University, with the patience, resilience, and ability to work collaboratively with diverse constituents of an institution to effectively resolve challenges and build opportunities to promote the mission and vision of the College/University
- Respect and appreciation for the core values of VinUni: EXCEL (E: Empathy, X: Exceptional Capability, C: Creativity, E: Entrepreneurial Mindset, L: Leadership Spirit).
The salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Please note that only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.