COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING AND COMPUTER SCIENCE
The mission of the College of Engineering and Computer Science is to educate to create a generation of young leaders with the qualities, skills and knowledge needed to lead the development of science and technology, to increase productivity, and bring about radical innovation for the benefit of the society.
For more information, please visit: https://vinuni.edu.vn/college-of-engineering-computer-science/
Teaching Assistant is position for junior lecturer who assist the lead faculty in the classroom and conduct other responsibilities for the College of Engineering and Computer Science. Teaching Assistant supervises student teams/projects in large classes; support the lead faculty to clarify/answer questions students have in class, on Canvas, and via email; grade exams, assignments, and projects; prepare teaching materials, and teach small classes under the guidance and supervision of the lead faculty. He/she also conducts curriculum development related tasks to support to faculty in charge of curriculum development and maybe other tasks as per request by the line manager. The total working hours are equivalent to 44 hours per week for full-time position and 22 hours per week for part-time position.
The position provides excellent opportunities for working with senior faculty, as well as on-the-job training that will be useful for those interested in an academic career in the future.
• Benefits: Mentorship in the area of teaching in a new higher education environment. Exploration of career path in academia. Development of teaching portfolio useful in professional development for future academic job search and placement.
• Courses to assist:
o Fall semester: Calculus I, Probability and Statistics, Ordinary Differential Equations
o Spring semester: Calculus II, Linear Algebra
• Assist the lead faculty in preparation of teaching materials
o Online/Canvas: Prepare and manage teaching materials for the assigned courses; clarify/answer questions related to online assignments; facilitate online discussion forum.
o In-Class: Assist the lead faculty in delivering lecture and facilitating active learning by providing more personalized instructions to smaller groups of students; leading and moderating group discussion.
• Supervise student teams/projects
o Supervise and evaluate student projects, labs, tests and other assessments.
• Grade exams, assignments and projects
o Maintain records on student progress/grades.
o Other tasks as reasonably requested by the courses’ lead faculty and the CECS’s leaders
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
Candidates for the TA position must hold a minimum of a Master’s degree from a reputable university. Candidates who only have a bachelor’s degree could be considered if they can demonstrate professional experience in the field. They must also be highly knowledgeable in the related areas and have excellent oral and written communication skills in English. Candidates also need to be patient and resourceful, organized and careful with time management, and attentive to details. Priority will be given to candidates with active learning experiences, including team-based learning, project-based learning, case-based learning, and experiential learning.
The salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
HOW TO APPLY
• To be considered for a teaching assistant position, please submit a cover letter, CV, sample syllabi, teaching statement, and contact information of three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• If shortlisted, candidates will be invited to campus for a job talk to conduct a mock teaching of a selected topic from the syllabus, and to present their teaching philosophy to the search committee.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.